Sunday, March 01, 2009

Black Mountain Marathon

A few months ago I signed up for the Black Mountain Marathon in Black Mountain, NC because I had not yet done a trail marathon. Luck had it that I not only signed up for one of the most scenic trail marathons, but also one of the hardest. I have been running quite a bit this winter so I felt decently prepared, although here in Winston-Salem we do not have good uphill running available unless you drive. With 5,340 feet of climbing in the Black Mountain Marathon to the 13 mile turnaround point I would get plenty of climbing in during the race and we all know that what goes up, must come down. Lots of rain and cool temps on the top promised an epic day.

The calm before the storm. It is nice and dry in the hotel room.



Trying to stay dry under an awning with Jonathan Kelly (also Winston-Salem)



A few minutes before the start and it looks wet.



Amy was at the turnaround checkpoint and it was great seeing a friendly, familiar face. She caught me sucking down an e-Gel.



I crossed the line in 4:15:05 and was happy with this result in very tough conditions. The puddles in the grass are an indication of what the trails looked like.

2 comments:

Pedro said...

Good job, Herbie!

Mike Fraser said...

Nice finish Herbert! Congrats especially on such a challenging elevational run. Great looking time too!